Thursday, 8 October 2015


Well I mentioned it just now, so I thought I'd do this entry while it's fresh in my mind. We'd spent 2006 gigging and getting those 2005 demos out there with good feedback (airplay, reviews, better gigs, fanbase building, all the usual for a fledgling band that had previously alluded us) I'm not sure we actually sent many off to labels etc, but as we were gigging so much it was easy to get rid of our stock (especially when we regularly lost entire bags full and had to run off more) After a busy but uncertain year with rotating bassists, by the end of 2006 we had lost our proper bassist after a triumphant KOKO gig (the last of 4 that year, and the last until 2011) as David just couldn't commit to the increasingly hectic and busy life as a Silvery. This all scuppered plans to record more stuff that year so we made do with the increasingly out-of-date 2005 sessions. Again, the fates aligned and we quickly found Joe through Simon the keyboard player. Joe was a different bassist to David and anchored the songs with the sobriety they required and we all hit it off straight away. After a few rehearsals once again we were ready to play live and started 2007 with a live review from The Metro in NME, a decent management team and even some legal oomph. We were getting offers and interest from all sorts of new places and we needed to record some fresh demos. Again, we had gone into the new line up and new year with a fresh outlook.

We were rehearsing at Fortress on Old Street (scene of the previous 2005 demo session) and by chance found on one of the upper floors was a little private recording studio called Pinna run by a chap called Kev. During a break in practice one Sunday we tootled up the stairs and asked him if we could book some time. He came down to watch us and like that we obvious had our shit together and were doing something very different to the usual Shoreditch thing at that time. Although it's fair to say initially he had alarm bells ringing due to our tight jeans and Russian naval tops. We all agreed on a weekend to do it that March. Avoiding the problems of last time, we decided to do just 3 songs and get them all finished and mixed by the end of the two day session. 'Horrors' had been a favourite in the set for about 6 months and was crying out to be recorded as it had 'single' all over it. Rather than doing a couple more new ones ('Warship Class' was less than ideal for the new serious and commercially minded band!) or ones that had previously fallen through the cracks (How we hadn't recorded 'Star Of The Sea' yet is beyond me) we chose to redo previous favourite 'That Which Is', and live staple 'Orders' which by this point had developed into an entirely different song to the original 2005 demo.

Recording was easy. Drums and bass were done live, rough live guitar and keys were either replaced or added to straight away barely before we had a chance to change the settings. Singing (that most hated part of my personal studio time) we effortless too this time (thanks to all the gigging we'd done) That is, once I'd actually finalised the lyrics to the still fresh 'Horrors'. We videoed most of the weekend and watching it back today is a joy. We had so much fun at those sessions.

So those three tracks became the new demo, splashed all over the internet and put on CDs for the fans with half an eye on getting them out as a single. We had met Paul from Blow Up after that January Metro gig and I got the recordings to him, along with the other older studio sessions. The next thing I know, less than 2 months after finishing these new demos, we were signed up to do an album. Again, great days to be alive. Of course, we tweaked the recordings for official release once we started our album sessions that summer (mainly adding handclaps) and 'Horrors' and 'Orders' became the double A-side vinyl debut. And, I hope you will agree, what a debut coupling that was. Straight onto the radio and even on telly a couple of time. Luckily, given the considerable gap between finishing the 'demo' version and the official release (some 10 months) it allowed time to get the BRILLIANT video made. For once in our pitiful struggling existence, everything came together.

No comments:

Post a Comment